Friday, January 2, 2009

Resolutions

Get organized.
Everyone raise your hand if that's part of your New Year's resolution.
If you've had the pleasure (or displeasure as the case may be) of wondering into The Bryan Times newsroom, you can easily find my desk. It's the messiest one.
I'd like to say it's because I'm so busy, so overwhelmed with work, just too taxed for the mundane tasks like clearing my desk.
But I'd be lying.
My desk has been a mess everywhere I've worked.
In fact, when I worked at the museum in Auburn, one of the volunteers used to joke he never saw wood while I was there. Maybe that's why I got the metal desk at The Times. I have to work my way up to the wood one.
I really do have good intentions. And it's not that I don't appreciate a clean desk. It's just that I don't seem to make the time. I seem to have an affection for sticky notes. And those newspapers seem to stack up, no matter what I do.
I am, however, very good at telling others what they should throw out. I can do that rather well. Oh, there are occasions when I get into a pitching mood. (note the letter; it's not a b; that's another subject entirely). And I do sometimes clean. But not enough.
Any confessions from like-minded messy workers? What's the secret to a clean office environment (besides threats from the boss ... after all, his office isn't much better!) Help us, please! Save us from our clutter.

3 comments:

  1. I would ask if you celebrated "National Clean Off Your Desk Day" yesterday (Mon. Jan. 12) but I can see that you and Don both ignored that holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, we have all been wondering when we might have the pleasure of seeing news stories wander into the Bryan Times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you should take a day or even 2 hours to clean up the mess. They make great organization tools to help you out. Like trays and post-it notes. You have to want to be organized though or it will never happen.

    ReplyDelete